Design thinking is problem solving that is experimental, human centric and optimistic.
Design thinking is most often used to tackle hard problem with an undefined outcome exploring and find solution physical space helps the team to concentrate. Make a space use whiteboard, black boards, paper and other tools.
Design thinking as a business capability
1. Problem solving
2. Human empathy rooted
3. Conducted by collaborative multidisciplinary teams
End user = consumer
- Approach- Design thinking is a mind set towards problem solving.
Basics of all design thinking processes
- Human empathy
- Reframing and questioning
- Prototyping and making.
- Tolerance for risk and ambiguity.
- Team qualities
- Invite unusual perspectives and seek opportunities to grow
- Human empathy
- Experienced focused
- Leading design thinking
Leading design thinking requires being comfortable, continually going from the details of making to framing the effort, so the team remains in the flow of collaboration.(iteration)
Good design thinking leaders are able to do 4 things:-
- Framing the problem and continuously reframing it. Go through available details and viewing it from long term point of view
- Enabling experimentation
- Communicating ideas
- Directing the team
- Challenges of leading design thinking
- Big picture analysis - The frame is set so large that no frame exists determine steps. BPA strategy focus on iterating ideas, refraining the question, making, and actively noting progress to the end goal.
- Step reliance - Design thinking is not a set of step. Step reliance's strategy each iteration may be different than the last and the activities and methods will change according to the problem.
- Exhaustion – The focus shifts towards task completion from solving the problem due to not getting a particular stage clear. Suppressed by the unknown. Exhaustion strategy focuses on having Optimistic attitude that the problem can be solved.
- Over control - Desire to control everything on going. Over control strategy
Steps back from any anxiety you're feeling and reflect on why you feel the way.
- Skills of a design thinking leader -
- Confidence in your judgement
- Ability of being alert and present
- Aligning the team -
- Trust each other
- Formal intro of the teams
- Team leap - Builds team trust, optimistic work environment. Team alignment focused on individual goals working styles and priorities. Goals of team leap -
- Awareness of what will make working together successful.
- Refreshed understanding of each other.
- Managing creative flow.
Creative flow - A mental that’s both active and tranquil, which allows for ideas generation, provocative thinking, and the confidence to offer an untested or unusual idea.
- Mission countdown- Team alignment 45 minutes activity. Long mission documents are cut down to 4 word mission statement, what we are trying to do, why are we doing it, for whom and how we are doing it.
- Having a goal provides a team with structure.
- Goals must be open for revolution.